The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Friday, April 28, 2006

Just....four....more....games

I've been trying to finish "Unbeatable Chess Lessons for Juniors" for the past eight months or so. I must have borrowed it from the library at least three times. I'm finally at the 21st out of 24 games so I can taste victory. I also, ambitiously, borrowed "Logical Chess" for the third time as well. I plan to complete that book after I finish "Unbeatable Chess".

I'm in another slump too. Not a ratings slump though. My rating is hovering at 1409 right now. But my playing seems uncoordinated to me. Almost like I am second guessing myself a lot. I have a feeling that if I can get over this hump, and learn how to plan effectively, I can push through to 1500 but only time will tell. For the past three weeks I've been faithful to my CTFB, doing 30 minutes a day. I also stored the Polgar brick and WCT on my Palm Pilot, and do those when I'm on the road or at a coffee shop. Pocket Chess Deluxe has proven to be worth it's weight in gold for my improvement plan. I would recommend it, without hesitation, to anyone with a Palm.

2 Comments:

At 4/30/2006 6:39 AM, Blogger fussylizard said...

How much time are you spending per game? Heisman advocates just playing each move, reading the notes (and not worrying about playing out all the sidelines unless you are really confused about something), and making the next move. I used to try to guess each move, analyze each position, etc., but it took forever. Heisman's opinion is that it is quantity that counts...just seeing over and over how masters play certain positions. He told me he spends about 8 minutes per game (!), but that a novice like me should probably only take 15 minutes or so.

Have fun!
Chris

 
At 4/30/2006 5:32 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey Chris,

Yeah, I would say beteen 15 and 20 minutes per game. I play the game on CB to save time, plus looking at the variations only takes a couple of seconds. I like the annotations when I don't understand why so and so did this or that. I do agree with Heisman. I've heard that from other masters as well.

PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home