The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Arrrrgghhhh!!!

Am I the only one that is struggling with my endgame? I mean seriously. So many times I am up material and my opponent wears me down in the endgame. I just finished a game where the other guy blundered both rooks for a knight and a bishop plus I had a passed pawn on the d file. I should have had that one right? I freakin lost! There is nothing more dissappointing for me then to be winning the majority of the game and the lose in the endgame. What's the freakin point if you can get all that way and then lose the game!? Do you remember the scene in Real Genius where they are studying for finals and one guy gets up and starts screaming his head off? That's how I feel right now.

6 Comments:

At 3/08/2005 5:09 PM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

Yup, I know how that is. Being "ahead" is not like sliding down a hill, and any carelessness can blow the game. That's chess.

Just think, someday though you will be doing this to other players ;).

 
At 3/09/2005 2:22 AM, Blogger Don Q. said...

I have two pieces of advice about endgames:

1) Learn the basic king and pawn endgames cold.

2)Get Silman's book "Basic Endgames Explained Move by Move"

3) All rook endgames are drawn

Wait, that's three. I'll come in again ... nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Silman's book is just what is claims -- basic endgames explaiend thoroughly. This little bit of knowledge has always been more than my competitors seem to possess.

 
At 3/09/2005 5:08 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

If there is such a material difference and you still loose, I don't think the problem lies in the endgame.

 
At 3/09/2005 10:04 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Thanks for the tips guys. TS, where do you think my weakness lies?

PS

 
At 3/09/2005 11:41 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Maybe you can post your game, then we can have a look at it.

 
At 3/09/2005 10:28 PM, Blogger Nezha said...

Me too, am fairly weak in the endgame. So thats why after the 7 circles of tactics, I'll start also with 7 circles of endgames. And oh, yeah - try post your game. I'll try to analyze too if you want. - fyi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home