The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Sunday, November 20, 2005

The Great Sancho

Set aside some time this weekend, between studying programming and chess, to fool around with chess programs.

On Saturday Sancho volunteered two and a half hours of his time to show me some of the myriad features of CB9. We went over downloading new chess games, how to merge them with my reference DB without incuring duplicates, setting up an opening book, importing games into critical positions, and more. Next time he says he'll show me how to use the training feature to do puzzles. If you guys have any questions on CB9, Sancho is your man.

The other program I dedicated some time to was CPT. After using it for half a year there were some things that bothered me about the program. Such as not being able to move around sub-rep tabs or renaming sub-reps, etc. So I fiddled around with the files until I learned how to do some of those things. It wasn't pretty. It kind of reminds me of the bit-twiddling with C++ casts that I am currently learning about. At one point I thought I had deleted some of my hard earned work until I figured out how to recover it. The program uses XML and it was my first experience with the language. Similar to HTML I guess, but Jim could probably tell you more about it.

In all a productive weekend. In the future I'll post any neat features I come across in CB9 in case it would help anyone with that complex program.

5 Comments:

At 11/22/2005 2:05 PM, Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

When Sancho is gonna show you how to use the training feature (to do puzzles), ask him if it is possible for the board to turn when it's black to move first. My version of CB9 does not do it, which i find very irritating when wanting to puzzles with it. It is white on the bottom, all the time. I cannot turn it around manually when in puzzle mode and it is black to move first, so it's kind of an awkward way to solve puzzles for black. My fritz7 flips the board automaticly.

 
At 11/23/2005 8:51 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Good question. Actually, does your Fritz 7 flip the board automatically when reviewing games for a particular player? I can do that in Chesspad, but not Fritz 7. Anyway, I'll be sure to ask him.

PS

 
At 11/23/2005 10:50 PM, Blogger Sancho Pawnza said...

Hi Edwin, PS

I've had that same problem with the puzzles not flipping over to the side to move.
But so far my only experience has been with puzzles from a pre-made set of exercises ala "1000x Checkmates".
I've got a bit more research to do before I get all of the in's & out's nailed down on how-to create my own puzzles.
Hopefully between the three of us we can figure it out. If not I'm never afraid to ask one of the folks at Chessbase.

PS Thanks for the kind words, I'm still learning the ropes with CB9.
It was fun working with you on that study session, and as fast as you pick up on things it won't be long
before I start asking you the how-to questions.

 
At 11/25/2005 3:10 PM, Blogger Edwin 'dutchdefence' Meyer said...

To answer your question, no. It does not flip over when reviewing games. That has to be done manually. Which is kind of logical i think, since you want to choose yourself from which side you want to review. And about the puzzles, i've got ChessBase training cd's, and they don't make the board flip either in puzzlemode. So i don't think it's a question of what kind of puzzles you use. But it is indeed an idea to just send an email to customer support :)

 
At 11/26/2005 6:14 AM, Blogger Sancho Pawnza said...

I never really had a problem with the puzzles not flipping once I got used to it.
By not having them flip it tends to keep me honest. This way I'm forced to look at possibilities for both sides, instead of just looking for the win for one. Because if anyone needs to be more objective in analyzing positions it would be me. :)
Too many times in the past I have been extremely guilty of just trying to impose my will. My motto used to be. “Damn the torpedoes!! Full steam ahead!!”

 

Post a Comment

<< Home