The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Monday, May 15, 2006

1500 here I come

Same ol, same ol. Pushed a little higher with yesterday's game. 1416 now. I feel like my tactics are decent enough to get to 1500 but my strategic knowledge is lacking. It could be due to reading Heisman's articles though *smirk*. I know I could get to 1500 or even 1600 on stronger tactics alone, but I think if I solidify my thought process and gain more strategy then it will help me get past 1600 as well. In other words, invest now for future gains. Anyway, here is the game with some of my comments.

[Date "2006.05.15"]
[White ""]
[Black "PawnSensei"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "1354"]
[BlackElo "1416"]
[TimeControl "1800+30"]

1. e4 e5
2. Nf3 Nc6
3. Bb5 a6 {What's your intentions bub? I make White decide where we go from here.}
4. Ba4 Nf6 {Ok, so time to hunker down for a long fight.}
5. O-O Be7
6. Re1 b5
7. Bb3 d6
8. c3 O-O
9. d3 {Oi, we are both playing defensively. White's idea is to put pressure on the center. Black needs to confront him. c5 is the answer here. But I ignore convention at this point and prematurely start an attack.} Be6
10. Bxe6 fxe6
11. Qb3 d5 {Unintentional gambit. This leads to a Marshall type position. Time to rock and roll.}
12. exd5 exd5
13. Nxe5 Nxe5
14. Rxe5 Bd6 {Time to kick around the White pieces. I'm ahead on development and have open lines to the enemy King. That Queen looks misplaced too.}
15. Rf5 Qd7
16. Rxf6 gxf6 {White might be seeing ghosts here. The Rook on a8 is guarded so the Queen can't really make any major threats by herself.}
17. Qxd5+ Kh8
18. g3 c6 {Dude, what was I thinking? I take away the Bishop's main defender forcing her majesty to do lowly guard duty. Sorry your Highness, it won't happen again.}
19. Qf3 Rae8
20. Bh6 Qh3 {Demon begone! Heisman says "Loose pieces drop off".}
21. Bd2 Re6
22. Qxc6
{Oh man. This looks juicy. White's King looks pretty exposed at this point and he doesn't have anough defenders. Time to storm the castle.} Rfe8
23. Be3 {Long think here. I can win a Pawn, plus open up the Kingside. But is it my best move?} Bxg3
24. Qg2 {Ok, it's over at this point. The Queen can't fight my forces alone.} Bxh2+
25. Qxh2 Rg8+
26. Qg3 Rxg3+
27. fxg3 Qxg3+
28. Kf1 {White Resigns} 0-1

8 Comments:

At 5/15/2006 5:50 PM, Blogger katar said...

Good job. Could have done the Bxg3 trick one move earlier.. (no need to guard the rook on e6)

 
At 5/15/2006 7:20 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Cool. I didn't even notice that. Thanks Patrick. I can always count on you to give me great feedback.

PS

 
At 5/16/2006 11:42 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

Great job, Pawn Sensei. Was this an OTB game or Internet?

 
At 5/16/2006 1:59 PM, Blogger King of the Spill said...

Good job. It's interesting what your saying about strategy, as just looking at the game I see it as emphasizing the importance of knowing your tactics.

 
At 5/16/2006 9:39 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey CD,

Thanks. It was an internet game. I've been play exclusively internet so the ratings aren't that accurate. I mainly use them as a benchmark of my progress.

KOTS,

True about tactics. That's why I feel I could get to 1600 purely on stronger tactics. If I ignore strategy however, I think I'll have a much harder time in the future past 1600.

PS

 
At 5/18/2006 7:05 AM, Blogger BlunderProne said...

Remember it's progess not perfection!

True Tactics will give you the most bang for the (study time) buck. What I did when I was in the class D/C range was focused on tactics but also kept looking at my opneings and the TYPE of tactics that would come about from those games. I DL'd lots of games with my repetoire and looked for "miniatures" where my side won. Those had clues to the typical opening tactics that would come about in my gmaes.

Then I looked at all the lost games and started to look at themes and tactics against my opening. This helped develop a "defensive" sense to my play.

From there I looked at draws that showed "exact" play on both sides. This gave me a window to the types of strategies that were typical in my openings.

From all that I have gained a better insight on my "system" of openings and can actually start seeing plans and strategies.

Keep it up... play stronger opponents when you can.

BP

 
At 5/18/2006 8:38 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey BP,

That's great advice. Funny you mention master games because just last week I compiled a list of games for one of my openings. I just took all the ones where my opening won but I like your system a whole lot better. I'm going to compile a new list with your suggestions today. I'll start with minis.

PS

 
At 7/04/2006 5:34 AM, Blogger Dr Munky said...

Chessbase 9 does nice opening reports, which recommends moves if reply to each of the opponents responses and common move in each variation. If you dig deeper into the game then tactics start to immerge that are common for the given position

 

Post a Comment

<< Home