The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Opening tactics and storming the Kingside

Two observations and an enhancement to the study plan today.

First observation. I noticed that my opponents, especially weaker ones, tend to steal a pawn from me in the opening. I think the last 4 out of 6 games I had this happen. They don't necessarily win, but it's a little disappointing from my point of view. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe because I don't play blitz? Meaning, I don't have that opening intuition that usually comes with playing a lot of games. Anyways, not a major concern at this point because I can still hold my own at this level a pawn down, but something to think about.

Second observation. I've had a handful of successful King attacks in the last couple of weeks. I've never been able to do this previously. I think this one has to do with the two annotated books I just read, "Unbeatable Chess Lessons for Juniors" and "Logical Chess". Those books have quite a few successful Kingside attacks.

After getting some really great advice from Blunder Prone here, I have decided to enhance my Master Games study time. Instead of reviewing only games of one person or the other, currently it's Morphy, I can kill two birds with one stone by following BP's advice of studying games with the same opening. That way I can build my opening knowledge, and maybe even fix the problem in my first observation in the process. Thanks for the tip BP.

1 Comments:

At 8/24/2006 10:18 AM, Blogger Zweiblumen said...

Hey, do you have a good recommendation for a book of annotated Morphy games?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home