The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

More Chess Stuff?

I think I'm addicted to buying chess things. Um, I'm just going to blame it on Don since he's always buying stuff. Just look at this. I know what you are saying, it's a laptop, not a chess book or software, but my point is he bought it for doing chess problems.

Ok, so anyway, on the great advice of CD, I purchased Chess Mentor 3.0. And since I was buying $70 worth of software from them already, I threw in a copy of "The Ideas Behind the Chess Openings". I'll have to return it to the library eventually so might as well get my own copy. Great book BTW.

5 Comments:

At 3/29/2005 10:39 PM, Blogger Nezha said...

yeah me too. I really cant afford buying something right now, but more than once I am tempted to order a bunch of CD's from convekta. I'm glad I havent maxed it out yet. Anyway, I went into the chessmentor site. Is it really that good?

 
At 3/30/2005 12:34 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Download the demo and test it out. It's pretty good for my level (around 1300 ICC). If you are past 1600 maybe you can consider their advanced package but if you already have CTArt then maybe that would be better. CD would be able to shed more light on it.

PS

 
At 3/30/2005 2:06 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

If you make it a rule that you really work through what you buy, that will constraint your buyinglust.

 
At 3/30/2005 11:30 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

Nezha, it's good for anyone up to probably 1700 USCF (~1600 elo). The advanced is supposed to be for up to around Expert level, but I haven't seen the need to invest in it, as I think Convekta has the 1400+ elo area covered quite well. It's a good all-around software. I typically will use it as a way of "warming up" before a tournament.

Tempo, amen to that!

 
At 4/03/2005 5:44 PM, Blogger Don Q. said...

Funny enough, I ended up getting a laptop for free. My company was literarily throwing them out when they got that old, so they just gave me one. In fact, I did the wholw MdlM thing for $40 -- book and CT Art.

That said I squander huge sums on chess books and equipment all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home