The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Tentative Lineup for T27

First, thanks for all the enthusiastic responses guy! Last tourney I had to beg people to sign up and no one wanted to, so I had to represent and play every round. Still waiting for more Knights if anyone else is interested. If we get one more Knight for the U1800 section we may have enough players to make another U1800 team if we are joined by members of RomaLavrn's Pomaranch Team (they're from Ukraine).

I don't have enough people for the U1400 section yet. Am I the Knight with the lowest rating? C'mon Blue Devil. It will probably be only me and you. We can lose together! It will be fun.

Finally, to all DeLaMaza team members in the U1600 section, please start creating an ICQ account. I have created an ICQ group for us to communicate with each other and will be posting the link shortly.

Finally, finally, just fyi, the MFO team (Mr Fixit Online) does read my blog so they know we are gearing up for the next tournament. Just to warn you, they WILL review your histories in FICS and study your openings. Do NOT take them lightly. In T26 one MFO team was our rival to make it to the final round and our opponent in the final round was another MFO team (they had two U1600 teams). Can you guys smell a rivalry brewing?

Here is the current tentative lineup:

U2000
1. TripleCheck
2. bahus (NE)
3. Romalavrn
4. Lliamah
5. CelticDeath (NE)

U1800
1. bahus (NE)
2. RomaLavrn
3. Lliamah
4. CelticDeath (NE)
5. PawnSensei (NE)
6. psionics (NE)

U1600
1. Lliamah
2. Nezha (NE)
3. PawnSensei (NE)
4. Knightwizzy (NE)

11 Comments:

At 5/12/2005 4:10 PM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

I am quite sure I have the lowest rating amongst the Knights :) At any rate, I will again try to join FICS to see what's going on. I guess I have to have a minimum number of games, so I should get that going. I remember I didn't do FICS before because the program wouldn't install on my computer and they had no idea what the problem was (I was missing a .dll file, it said, but in fact I had the file!). If so, I am stuck. I'll let you know.

 
At 5/12/2005 4:32 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey Blue Devil,

What program? You can use many different programs for FICS is you have windows. A lot of people like Babaschess. I've also used Winboard, although it is slightly more complicated to configure than Babaschess. If worst comes to worst you can use their Java client, Jin. It stores your settings on the server. I've used it with my dial-up and it works fine. Let me know if you have trouble.

PS

 
At 5/12/2005 5:24 PM, Blogger Nezha said...

> they WILL review your histories in FICS and study your openings

Openings, what openings? I dont know what I will play myself before a game starts, so how can they know?

Anyway, I look forward to playing against the other team and making friends with them (I hope)

We can make friends because are knights and not ninjas, otherwise we would have to flip and kill people

 
At 5/12/2005 9:58 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Nez,

Yes, everyone is very courteous and helpful. There is a healthy dose of competitiveness but I think the fact that we are all there to play serious slow games already gives us something in common. I have made a few friends and haven't run into any bad sports yet *knocks on wood*.

PS

 
At 5/13/2005 4:14 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

I will check out FICS. It looks like they have a new server since I last tried (Jin). Do they allow you to set it so disconnects are forfeits: I learned the hard way that there are jerks who will take advantage of the freedom to disconnect.

 
At 5/13/2005 7:41 AM, Blogger knightwiz said...

Blue Devil,

Yes. If you set noescape=1 and play people who also have this option turned on, then a disconnect will count as forfeit.

 
At 5/13/2005 9:41 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

Blue Devil,

Be aware, though, that you must set noescape = 0 to allow disconnects when you play in the Teamchess tourneys. As a dialup user, I am prone to occasional disconnects (even more so when I had Netzero as an ISP), so this has saved me many game that I would have unfairly had to forfeit because of technical problems. There are restrictions, though, so be sure to read the Teamchess FAQ.

 
At 5/14/2005 7:41 AM, Blogger fussylizard said...

All this team stuff looks fun. I guess I need to play some on my FICS account I've had for 10 years or so. I can't even remember if I've even played a single game there. Hmmmm...

 
At 5/14/2005 6:21 PM, Blogger Don Q. said...

Hey Pawn,

Congrats on winning the U1600 championship! Took a while but it looks like team DelaMaza is really rolling now.

 
At 5/14/2005 8:56 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Fussy,

Would be nice to have you on board. Is FussyLizard your handle?

Don,

Good to hear from you dude! What do you say? We could use another Class B player.

PS

 
At 5/16/2005 1:11 PM, Blogger fussylizard said...

Yeah, my FICS handle is fussylizard. How many fussylizards can there really be, right? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home