The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Sunday, May 01, 2005

&%*@!

Man am I ticked off today. I was on the way to playing a great game. I had a lot of space, initiative, and from my limited knowledge of positional play I think I had a great position. Mainly I felt like I was slowly squeezing this guy. Suddenly things start going sour. After the game he tells me I had a forced win on move 22. I think I had a couple of chances for a forced win in the game but blundered them all and had to resign to a queen mate. I would post the game but I don't know how to annotate yet. Can anyone give me pointers on how to annotate a game. How long do you stare at each position? What positions do you annotate. Stuff like that. I think it's Miller time.

5 Comments:

At 5/01/2005 10:21 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

I always annotate in a subjective way. Because that's what is the most interesting part. If people want an objective annotation they can parse the game tru Fritz themselves.
What was I thinking on a certain moment, where was I heading for? I seldom comment on my opponents move. In this way I never offend them.

 
At 5/02/2005 1:41 PM, Blogger Sancho Pawnza said...

Usually I will try and write down my thoughts during what I felt was a critical position. Normally it is a point where I have two or more choices that will lead the game into different directions. Then I will go back and play through the entire game using Fritz just to see what I did or didn't miss.

 
At 5/03/2005 9:57 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey, thanks for the tips guys. If I have time tonight I'll try to anntotate this game.

PS

 
At 5/04/2005 5:07 PM, Blogger fussylizard said...

During analysis I usually add any lines that I seriously considered during the game, as well as any plans I formulated during the game. Also I add any other useful thoughts I had during the game (i.e. "I think I'm winning here", or "here I turned down a draw offer").

Next I usually do a brief opening check to see which of us went out of book, and if it was me, I learn the next couple of book moves in the line. If my opponent went out of book, I usually try to understand why his move was bad and discover if I played the best continuation after the "error".

Finally I use Fritz to point out any tactical issues, strong or alternate viable continuations I missed, or other major considerations. I always do Fritz last; otherwise my initial commentary is too biased by the machine.

 
At 5/10/2005 4:12 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Fussy,

I like that part about leaving book. I'm going to start doing that with my next annotation. Thanks!

PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home