The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Friday, May 19, 2006

Logical Chess

Finished "Logical Chess" last night. This was another book that took me almost a year to finish. As I stated in the previous post I used a different approach to reading it. I think this book is great for my level but the first few sections are especially good for absolute beginners. In the last section though, he tended to list a lot of variations. That section was probably meant for stronger players.

I did a search on rating for Pogo and I came upon this. Good grief. To think I used to play primarily on that server for a little while. I wonder if people have created that sort of stuff for ICC. The Pogo cheaters probably use it to get Pogo tokens but cheating at chess seems kind of stupid if you ask me. Especially if money isn't involved. To me, the beauty of chess is that no matter how bad you are you can always find someone just as bad as you if you use the rating system. You don't see that in other sports.

2 Comments:

At 5/22/2006 7:06 AM, Blogger BlunderProne said...

Chernev's " Most instructive games" as well as Michael Stean's "Simple Chess" are a couple others along the same lines as logical chess.

I am in the process of rediscovering the bookup software. I am methodically going through my opening repertoire and entering them in this tool. I am forcing my self to pause at every variation and enter notes about the position.

First, without looking at the next move or what the book says, I do a perspective on "imbalances" ( kind of a " what would Jeremy... Silman.. do" ) for both sides. IN terms of material, space, pawns, pieces, intiative, king safety etc.

Next, I try to come up with a plan for white and black as I come up with candidate moves.

Lastly I edit my entry with what the book suggests.

I am trying to get into the habit of analyzing positions in my openings and this was suggested to me. Its hard at first. Sometimes what i guage as a priority imbalance to direct a plan trnaslate to less of an issue in the book. I find it a much better way to learn an opening and study strategies associated with it.

( more unsolicited advice from BP)

 
At 5/22/2006 8:27 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey BP,

Thanks for the great advice as usual. I own Chernev's "Most Instructive Games". It was one of the first books I borrowed from the library and I liked it so much that I bought it. Earlier in my blog there was a short period of time where I was attempting to memorize every game in the book but I decided that it wasn't the best use of my time at the time.

Thanks again for your tip on studying master games with my opening themes. It has already paid off in one of my recent games. I do limit myself to 10 to 20 games a day though because I can sit there all day watching them.

At my current strength I don't spend too much time on my opening rep so I didn't purchase bookup yet. I use Chess Position Trainer, Chessbase, and Microsoft Word. After every game , before I review it, I look up the opening to see who left book then I review 10 to 20 master games related to that opening.

PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home