The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Still under 1600

Hi all. Sorry I haven't posted in a loooooong while. As the title states I am still under 1600 even though I was predicting to pass that point last October. I'm leaving the old deadline up there so I can see how off I was.

Even though I haven't seen much progress in my rating I am pleased with my new level of comfort while playing. I'm trying to break the habit of taking too long to choose a move and I'm steadily improving in that area. An A-Class player told me it is due to my lack of experience.

I'm still working on "Art of the Checkmate". Slowly getting through it. My priority is playing games right now, then doing tactics, and finally, if I have time left over, reading books.

The rating system in ICC sucks. It's a good tool but the system needs serious revision. My main gripe with the rating system is that a person's rating could be anywhere from G15 to infinity. So, if my rating is primarily based on G30 30 then there may be a mismatch if I play someone, at the same rating, whose rating is primarily based on G15. Anyway, it's a minor point and doesn't diminish the fun of playing on ICC.

I've been playing much more aggressively lately. I like tactically rich games and point my games in that direction at the first opportunity. I've gotten into trouble doing this but I feel this is good for my development at this point in my games. Time will tell.

I do wish my tactics eye was faster. The more I play the more I agree with Tempos' approach to chess. My strength has always been my patience so my battle is to make sure I don't get lazy.

Hope everyone else is doing good.

11 Comments:

At 5/22/2007 3:22 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Long time no see! I hope all is well?

 
At 5/25/2007 10:06 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey TS! Wow, didn't know people still came to my site. How are you doing in your Blogging retirement? I notice you've been studying the cognitive aspects of chess thinking. (Is that the right usage of the terminologies? ) Very detailed stuff you got there. Too bad I'm not smart enough to understand it :P

How is Margriet doing? Please tell her I said hi.

PS

 
At 5/26/2007 10:39 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

The problem is not that you are not smart enough, but that I'm telling simple things in a complex way:)

Greetings from Margriet too!

 
At 5/28/2007 4:41 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Great to see a new post from the great Sensei. You seem to have improved at ICC quite a bit regardless of the 1600 goal.

Goals are important I think. My new goal is to reach 1500 before I stop studying the game. My goal when I began the circles was to reach 1200 but I realized that was a bit too low a goal (and I'm now around 1350 anyway).

 
At 5/28/2007 8:56 PM, Blogger transformation said...

yes, we are all still here...

thank you for the generous post to my "Wildmen, inner work", "nonchess off center" blog last week, to which i aim to reply in a more than offhand way. much appreciated. i will alert you via email directly when i do, so you know. agaain, thank you.

so welcome back for real now?

so here we are again. and chess? your chess?

warmly, dk

 
At 5/29/2007 9:06 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hi all. Yes, I'm back to posting again. I'm probably going to slow it down to once a week though. Life has been happening. Also, I've picked up another hobby. Reading. I've been reading voraciously since I took a speed reading course a couple of weeks ago. If I keep this rate up I'll easily double the books I've read in my lifetime within a couple of months.

TS,

Glad we share the same talent of making things more complicated than they are.

BD,

Thanks for the wb and compliments. I've been following some of your games as well and you have come a long way too! One of your games was even recommended for game of the month on T45 45. Me thinks you may be hooked now though. I can't see you stopping after 1500. The game gets even more interesting at that level. Blunders are much fewer and planning becomes more important.

DK,

I'm glad I could share my experience with you. Lately I've been going through another growing phase (transformation). These things come in spurts and they can be tough. It's good to have people to talk to about it.

 
At 5/29/2007 9:59 PM, Blogger likesforests said...

Welcome back!

 
At 6/03/2007 9:35 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

I found that "The Art of the Checkmate" worked better when I combined it with "1001 Brilliant Ways to Checkmate". That way you get lots of examples to go with the mating motifs. I found it helped them stick in my mind more easily. :)

 
At 6/03/2007 10:57 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

likesforests,

Thanks!

ryan emmett,

Thanks for the tip. I sorely regret not purchasing the 1001 Checkmates book when I had the chance. I instead opted to buy 1001 Combinations by the same author. I did borrow it from the library once though. I don't remember how far I got but it wouldn't hurt to pick it up again.

PS

 
At 6/06/2007 3:46 PM, Blogger BlunderProne said...

welcome back !

 
At 6/10/2007 9:51 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey BP,

Thanks. Nice to be back =)

PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home