The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Ahhh, the pawn studies

Finally hit the section of the book that covers pawns. You know, with a name like PawnSensei you think I would kick some major bootay with those buggers but it just doesn't work out that way. The chapter is very informative but slow going. It's the only chapter in the book that I'll have to go through more than once.

Finally mastered the two bishops vs lone king scenario. I don't know how often that guy comes up but it was instructive on how to use the bishops better during the middle game. I didn't realize that two bishops were impervious to the king when they are side by side and the king is in front. Maybe it is obvious to most of you but it was an eye-opener to me. I was thinking about doing knight and bishop vs king but I hear that guy can go over 50 moves easy and I think I can better spend my time with tactics and other studies. Any comments?

Played black against a king's gambit accepted last night and won. It was a good feeling because it was my first time seeing that opening.

4 Comments:

At 4/14/2005 1:56 AM, Blogger Don Q. said...

I might look at the knight & bishop v. lone king because it is an intersting technique, but I wouldn't get to hyper about making sure you can do it. It occurs very infrequently. Learning those pawn end games is much more important.

 
At 4/14/2005 2:09 AM, Blogger Margriet said...

Let see this game, Pawn! What was your answer? Did you take the gambit?

 
At 4/14/2005 8:22 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Margriet,

Ok, I'll try to dig up that game. Yes I did take the gambit.

PS

 
At 4/14/2005 8:22 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Don,

Thanks for the feedback.

PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home