The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Coffee and Chess, Chess and Coffee

Don't they go great together? Last night walked over to the strip mall and had Arabiki curry at the Curry House then went next door to the coffee shop and studied for two hours. In total, last night was 1 hour tactics, 1 hour Idiot's Guide, 2 games (20 30) on ICC (1 win 1 loss), and about a half hour on basic endgames (bishop and pawn vs two pawns, and bishop and pawn vs four pawns).

One game was lost before we got to the endgame. The other game, though it was a win, was mildly dissappointing for me. I was killing this 1250 guy. I was black. Had my rooks beaming down the e and f files pinning his bishop and knight to his uncastleable king and queen, my queen was deep in enemy territory on the h file, and to top it off my knights were ready on the third and fourth rank to fork anything that moved. My attack fizzled and I had to fight back to a winning endgame with four pawns and a rook vs a rook. The good news is I'm getting a lot more comfortable with open positions. Now I have to learn how to attack with gusto. Playing the Pirc and King's Indian really made me passive. BTW, I learned that at my level I don't think I really need to fear the English or the Sicilian. The guys at my level don't really know how to use it. One guy used c5 against my e4 and when I played d4 I think he panicked. I'm not really even sure if my response was solid but it worked.

2 Comments:

At 4/05/2005 8:40 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

Below 1550 (Dutch rating that is, is about the same as FIDE) most players have virtual no knowledge of openings. Only by imitation.

 
At 4/05/2005 3:59 PM, Blogger Margriet said...

When they take the pawn d4 (Sicilian) do you play then c3? (Morra's Gambit) a lot of people hate this opening. It is very aggressive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home