The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Sunday is FUN day!

Games
Played three games today. Lost them all. Quite disheartening. But onward and upward!

Idiot's Guide
Finished the chapter on pawns as well as the chapter on space. It's a little hard to grasp for me right now but it's all good info. I especially liked the explanation on side-by-side pawns.

Chess Mentor
Got to the level 4 problems today. I'm starting to see some of my weaknesses. I got hung up on a couple of mate problems and long distance queen forks. I also saw Morphy's and epaulette's mates for the first time. Finally, I discovered the analysis board. Nifty little feature that. It's like having your own little peg or magnetic board on the table as you work on the problems. It reminds me of Chessbase Light. I used it a couple of times to look at some of the variations mentioned in a few of the problems. One of the advantages over a real analysis board is the ability to reset it to the original position with the click of a button.

The Perfect System
I read one of Don's posts today and I have to agree that sometimes we get caught up in finding the perfect system instead of actually going through one. I guess part of it is due to our analytical natures. If we didn't like analyzing things to death we wouldn't be chess fanatics. Add to that the OCD and you can see where you can run into some problems. So where does that leave me? If you haven't noticed I've been delaying Don's Inferno until I feel more comfortable with the basics. My current plan is to read a couple of intro books (The Idiot's Guide to Chess, Play Winning Chess, and Unbeatable Chess Lessons for Juniors) then run through Chess Mentor a couple of times. But for the record, I'm doing Don's Inferno, and that's that. There. I said it. No turning back now. It's written in stone. May God have mercy on me.

First Run
Challenges Completed: 328
Average of All Scores: 89

3 Comments:

At 4/18/2005 3:32 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

I like your approach. Good luck with it. I had modified the 7 circles down to 5, but as I work through the vision drills I am considering other modifications such as Don's. For the 10 circles of Don's Inferno, what program will you use? CT-Art?

I am compiling a list of links to people's suggested modifications of MDLM's program.

 
At 4/18/2005 8:23 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey BD,

Yes, I have CT-Art and will be using that for the Inferno. I suspect it is above my level but I have to give it a shot. If worst comes to worst then I'll repeat the Inferno again at a later time. Too much tactics can't kill me......can it?

PS

 
At 4/18/2005 10:11 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

Pawn Sensei, I'm glad to see that the problems are becoming a little more challenging for you. They'll really stretch your brain before long. Wait until you get to the Challenge Set!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home