The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Not in the mood

Yesterday I played a game when I didn't really feel like playing. I played it just to keep up with the training. Did horribly as expected. Dan H. says to play only when you are in the mood and have some energy. Now I know why.

Early in the opening my 1500 opponent left book in the Vienna Game. I had forgotten all of the book moves but through analysis found the correct ones anyway. He dropped a Knight but on my next move I gave it back with interest and allowed a King side attack. Then I let him fork my King and Queen twice. It was a disaster. Throughout the whole game it made me realize how much my thought process has been aiding me and when I neglect to do it how terribly I play. The funny thing is I was taking the same amount of time per move that I usually do but I wasn't "seeing" things like normal. I would stare at the position and say, "Why did he make that move?" and I would come up with the completely wrong answer. They were all one move threats too.

2 Comments:

At 7/04/2006 5:30 AM, Blogger Dr Munky said...

Generally I find there are two times when I should run away at the sight of a chessboard; 1) When my son wakes me up at 6am and starts demanding chocolate and 2) When I am in a foul mood.
The first one leads to me dropping pieces and losing through not even thinking baout the game in any way. The second causes very unsound sac's and either winning by stunning the opponent into paralysis or losing to a simple material advantage.

An aside, how to join the knight errant?

 
At 7/04/2006 8:41 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hi Dr Munky,

Thanks for stopping by. The Knights would be glad to have you. Please see Temposchlucker on my sidebar and drop him a note. He'll then add you on.

PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home