The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Micro Drills Day 19

Did my drills first thing in the morning. The squares aren't popping out yet but I can see them much faster than before. I did a refresher on the two GM games that I memorized and studied some openings.

You know, the people at Convekta still have not sent me my copy of CT Art that I ordered over two weeks ago, and they aren't answering my emails either. Has anyone else had problems ordering from them?

Changing the subject, here's a quote I found on Chessville:
"In order to win you must dare to fail." Sven Goran-Ericsson

Is that what we are doing? Daring to fail? I haven't really sat down and thought about how far I want to take this endeavor. How about, what do I do once I get there? Quit? Walk away? Have you ever seen "The Luzhin Defence"? It's about a chess player who is playing for the world chapionship. He has devoted most of his life to chess, and only chess, and it ends up ruining his life. I won't spoil the ending for you but will say this, it made me wonder, what does one do after chess?

2 Comments:

At 1/09/2005 6:38 AM, Blogger David Glickman said...

What does one do after chess?

Go insane - Morphy, Fischer, etc.

Go to law school - Kamsky

 
At 1/09/2005 7:52 AM, Blogger Calvin said...

hey-
interesting thoughts. I would guess that up to a certain point, chess is purely beneficial. However, like anything else in life, too much or too little of something is not healthy (look at Fischer). I mean, who could live without chess? But at the same time, overload is unhealthy for your brain. Chess players should take a break every once in a while and make some friends, rather than staying holed up in their home, studying tactics and memorizing opening lines.
thanx, generalkaia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home