The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Micro Drills Day 23

Did my Knight Sights and tried to study defenses but was watching Searching For Bobby Fischer at the same time. Borrowed it from the library again.

I'm getting really frustrated with my play. I was on Pogo again today but I only win when I get a lucky move. Couple times I completely missed something and then I am suddenly down material. I'm not frustrated with losing, it's the playing badly that gets to me.

Is it ok to play even when you don't have the tools yet? I'm worried that I will be picking up some bad habits. I've seen guys on there that have played a thousand games. That's one-thousand, and they seem to play at around my level. I don't want to play for years and be stuck at the same place!

2 Comments:

At 1/13/2005 9:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely keep playing games. Even if you don't do well, the experience will help - but you can't play blitz games. You're going to have to play slow games. As you get better at tactics, you'll see the mistakes you used to make and won't keep making. Also, if possible, record your games and then review them. When I play my 2100+ rated buddy, we always go back and talk about where I made my mistakes. Hang in there. . .

 
At 1/14/2005 8:42 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Thanks for the advice Jim. I guess it's my insecurity speaking again huh? Sometimes I am a little harsh on myself. When I stopped to think about it I realized I have to play a lot of bad games to weed out my weak points, as long as I don't create bad habits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home