The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Friday, September 23, 2005

I be illin

Hey everyone in the blogosphere. Sorry I've been out of commission. I haven't been feeling all that into chess lately. I hope it's not a long term thing.

Haven't been doing to well in chess lately. Oh well. Hopefully I can get back in the groove soon. I haven't been faithful to the Polgar book either. I'm still stuck around problem 400. Those two move mates can be really nasty.

I need to start learning how to play quick chess too. It seems most people OTB don't like playing anything longer than 15 min. Aside from playing a bunch of G15 does anyone have any advice on how to improve on this time control? I'm not used to anything shorter than 20 20 and even then I lose on time sometimes.

Anyway, hope everyone's chess is doing good. Team DeLaMaza did well in the first round. Won two sections with the win in U1800 hanging on Lliamah's game. Go team!

7 Comments:

At 9/24/2005 8:16 PM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

You can't really seperate the two: seeing moves faster = higher rating. Every 100 points means about 3 times faster(200 points = 9 x). So most people will have a rating of 1700 (OTB) before blitz becomes enjoyable. Ofcourse there are people who like blitz with a lower rating, but those are not playing chess. They make just moves for the sake of moving.
BTW are you going weekly to a club now with your new acquired car?

 
At 9/25/2005 1:50 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Silicon, thanks for the tip.

TS, I've been trying to make it to the Wednesday night club meetings as much as possible. So far it's been about twice a month. Ideally I want to go every week even though it's just to have fun since it's not serious chess. Some of the players want to play for a pot but I'm not that keen on paying to play. I already spend enough on internet chess and rating memberships as it is.

PS

 
At 9/26/2005 10:55 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

I play g/20 + 5 as a minimum on FICS. You may have to wait a while for someone to respond to your seek or to find a seek with an acceptable time control, but I usually get someone to play in around 10 minutes.

There are those times, though, when I just don't seem to find someone willing to play. Then, I typically go for a "junk" game on Yahoo!

 
At 9/26/2005 6:51 PM, Blogger Paco said...

Once a month we'll try a 30/30, because G/15 is to fast and we don't want the younger players to get used to always playing fast! So will schedule this events in advance. Althought it may take weekly meetings to get the Quads or tournament completed and then we;ll probably have forfeits by some players that can't make the meeting OTB meetings! Personnaly I like slower games, to give time to find the bext move. Or some players would wait until he falls asleep waiting and then make your move! Nah, I wouldn't do that! Hmmm!! Paco

 
At 9/26/2005 8:22 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

I have the same problem at my club. Everyone there is B rated and wants to play G/10. I got so frustrated the first few times, I just decided to hold off and attend the tournaments instead. In the comfort of my own home I can generally get someone interested in a long game on ICC within 10 minutes or so.

 
At 9/27/2005 9:37 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

I'm with you PMD. I usually don't have trouble finding a 30 30 game within a couple of minutes. Unless it's a really slow time like the middle of the night.

PS

 
At 9/30/2005 10:20 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

You be illin?

I be in Illinois!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home