The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Palm chess

Thanks for those who gave feedback about the chess programs. I am really enjoying PocketChess Deluxe so far. The database features are very easy to use and navigating between multiple TWIC issues in pgn and my ICC pgn only takes a few clicks. It also has a nice annotation function that I can use with my portable keyboard. This programs suits my needs perfectly because I don't play games against computers that often and if I'm going to do heavy analysis on a game I'll use Fritz on my desktop. Another nice little bonus is the program marks which games you reviewed already so when I'm switching between TWIC #557 and Zurich 1953 I know exactly where I left off.

All that said, now that I have a great program, it would be nice to finally upgrade to a high-res screen. Currently I'm using a Palm Vx which has served me well over the last five years but lacks the aforementioned screen. Does anyone have any comments on a PDA with a decent screen and battery life? I don't need wifi or camera or anything fancy like that to drain the battery life. My perfect PDA would be a Vx with a high-res screen. Thanks.

6 Comments:

At 7/14/2005 6:27 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

I have a Tungsten E. Color screen. I don't know if it is "hi-res" but it is very nice. I use my palm for basically phone numbers, calendar, a special work database, and of course chess.

 
At 7/14/2005 11:28 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Sounds good to me. How long have you had it?

 
At 7/18/2005 3:35 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

I've had it about a year now and really like it. I think I havd the Palm V before that but the screen broke. I take my palm car camping with me and charge it on the lighter so I can have a chess opponent in the woods.;)

 
At 7/19/2005 5:32 AM, Blogger fussylizard said...

If you get a Pocket PC then you can get Pocket Fritz which is great. I have had a lot of fun playing with it and reviewing and commenting games with it.

 
At 7/19/2005 8:34 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

PMD, cool. The people on the Palm sites also recommend the E series for my needs. The price tag is perfect for my wallet too. At just above $200 the E2 would make a nice birthday gift from my girlfriend ;)

Fussy, I guess I've just gotten so attached to the Palm over the years. Have you used a Palm OS before? The apps that are written for it harken back to the days when functionality was more important than pizazz. They are elegantly simple and I like that.

 
At 7/20/2005 7:32 PM, Blogger fussylizard said...

Yeah, I had a Palm Vx but bought an iPaq just so I could use Pocket Fritz. :-) I don't use my iPaq for anything but chess and keeping track of how many miles per gallon I get in my car (using Pocket Excel).

When I had my Palm Vx I used Chess Tiger. I like PF 1000% better.

I've not looked at Palm chess apps lately though, so there may be some good ones out there.

Speaking of PDA apps I need to order a copy of CT-Art for my iPaq...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home