The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Micro Drills Day 24

Knight Sight, Middle Game, and Concentric Circles today.

Wow, I hadn't realized how fast I had gotten with the Concentric Circles toward the end of my 14 days. I did a refresher today and it took me a while to get through. Serves me right for not drilling at least once a week like De La Maza suggests. I wonder how many of my fellow Knights follow that suggestion as well?

We got a nice little article on the Boylston Chess Club blog today. Our "House Reporter" really works hard at keeping us honest. Does that guy DG get any sleep or what?

Only played one game on Pogo today. Did ok. I won, but not eloquently. I am trying to play better positions but after the opening I usually fall back on cheap tactics to whittle down the other guy's resources. Then either overwhelm with superior numbers in the end game or blunder my pawns away. I got teased for my handle once because I'm not really good with them little buggers, but at least I'm trying right?

On the advice of my coach, borrowed Silman's Complete Book of Chess Strategy from the library. Really good stuff. I borrowed it once before but I wasn't ready to take in the information at the time. This time around it is making more sense, especially the part on the middle game.

I noticed something neat about my chess progression. After each session with my coach, Wild1, my game progesses a little bit further than before. What I mean by that is I can get further along in the game with a plan before I start getting lost. Earlier I could only get the first eight moves or so before getting stuck, now I have gotten it to about twelve or thirteen with a better chance in the middle game.

3 Comments:

At 1/14/2005 3:27 AM, Blogger Don Q. said...

I have not kept up with the chess vision drills. I feel bad about it, but I also feel bad that I haven't written any Christmas "Thank you" notes and that I have some pants in long term foster care at the dry cleaners. I think it would be very useful, but something had to give eventually.

 
At 1/14/2005 6:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I do Chess Eye exercises for visualization and training to play "blind", but I haven't done the Concentric Circles since I started the Seven Circles last Sunday. Maybe I'll do them tomorrow.

I know what you mean by getting better with lessons. Everytime I walk away from a game with my 2100+ friend, I always take some more knowledge with me - we always do post-mortem on each game. I used to drop pieces in the first 15 moves but now that doesn't ever happen anymore.

 
At 9/10/2007 10:46 PM, Blogger IA said...

If you want to explore a practical new approach to chess visualization based on 800 positions taken from real games, then check out my blog here.

This new approach to chess visualization training will stretch your vision from 4 to 39 half-moves while expanding it from 1 to 2 to 3 sectors of the board.

It might be just the thing you need to work your chess visualization muscles!

Best of everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home