The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Down Day

Was feeling a little low yesterday. Maybe because of lack of sleep. Only did about 10 or so minutes of studying, finished up the chapter four problems in Seirawan's book. Played a game on MSN, Pogo, and my first game as a member on FICS. Talk about interface overload. I won one, lost one and had one draw. I think now that I have my FICS membership I will spend most of my time there and use Pogo for Poker. I've met some really nice players on MSN though so I have to remember to stop by every so often to have a game with them.

I finally got my nerve up to join USCF. So I now await my coveted membership card. With that little thing I can now enter rated tournaments. Wish me luck. Once I get a solid rating I can start to make long term goals for my training. I look forward to that. Helps to put things into perspective. I also look forward to the Chess Life subscription. There are no chess magazines here.

I also ordered some equipment from Wholesale Chess. I got me a new bag with a quadruple-weighted set including extra queens, a Saitek digital clock, and some mini peg sets. I threw in a $10 copy of Fritz 7 too, figured since I'm blowing all this money anyway. I can't wait to see my credit card statement next month.

Lastly, my chess coach made a calendar with a group of ladies on MSN. You can check it out here:
http://groups.msn.com/BenchBabesCalendar

If you visit the site, please don't forget to leave feedback. Tell um Pawn Sensei sent you. Thanks.

5 Comments:

At 1/26/2005 2:29 AM, Blogger Don Q. said...

Good for you. USCF is a little behind on processing rated games, so it may take a while before you actually see an official rating. Until then, use the following formaula to approximate your rating:

[sum of opponent's ratings + (400 * #of games you win) - (400 * # of games you lose) ]/# of games played.

Quick search on USCF's site found the following chess clubs there: http://www.uschess.org/directories/AffiliateSearch/clubresultsnew.php?st=HI&pg=1

Good luck.

-Don

PS $10 for Fritz 7! That's awesome. For $10, you get a grandmaster delivered to your doorstep.

 
At 1/26/2005 2:43 AM, Blogger Don Q. said...

Hey, I just remembered that the guy who did the chessmaster blog is from Hawaii (http://chessmaster.blogspot.com/). His site has some links, and you might try sending him an email.

 
At 1/26/2005 6:43 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey Don,

Thanks for the info. Did you check out the tournament schedule in Hawaii? There is a big fat 0 for 2005! That's right, not even one. Oh well. Maybe I'll move to Boston with DG.

Yeah, the guy who did the Chessmaster blog was the one I was talking about during our meeting. He agreed to meet with me at a coffee shop in town when I want to have some game 30s. Really nice guy.

PS

 
At 1/27/2005 2:27 AM, Blogger Don Q. said...

Don't worry about not seeing any tournaments advertised. There are rated games in Hawaii. If you look at the rating reports, you can see games recorded in Hawaii. It is likely that the local clubs have tournaments, and they just don't advertise.

I totally missed that the guy you got together with was "Edward" of the chessmaster blog. Please tell him thanks for me as it was his blog that gave me the idea for mine. In fact, his blog might have been what introduced me to de la Maza's article. I should be pleased to know if he has made any progress in his quest for masterhood. (Did I already tell you all of this before? Memory cells must have been diverted over to use in chess tactics problems)

 
At 1/30/2005 10:24 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Hey Don,

I'll let him know when we have our first game. I just received my clock and new set so I'm itching to try them out.

From what he told me it doesn't sound like he's played in a while. He said his skills are all rusty. I guess he gave up. Oh well, I look forward to start playing him.

PS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home