The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Circle 0 Day 6

Okay, this is starting to get crazy. We picked up three more knights yesterday! We are really starting to become big. I hope we can eventually start a Team 45 45 and enter the tournaments. We already have a name, all we need to do is sign up a captain. If we do, I nominate Don, but that's a no brainer.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Welcome to Celtic Death, Temposchlucker, and Fussy Lizzard to the Knights. You are joining a great group of guys. I just joined in December but already I've gotten a lot of good tips and they help to keep me on the straight and narrow. If you have a couple of hours to kill one day maybe you can go through my old posts. Be farwarned, it ain't short! Also, be sure to click on the link on my blog to join our ICQ group. We have been trying to start meeting regularly on Sundays at 6pm PST but it hasn't happened yet. If you have been following the blogs we did have one meeting at Pogo a couple of weeks ago. Again, welcome to the Knights!

Completed chapter 12 last night (big deal, it was two feakin pages), and half way through chapter 13. I was planning on doing the test tonight but it may not happen. Played another game on FICS and won. Got my opponent into a bishop vs rook endgame and he resigned. My rating is starting to stabilize at around 1350 or so. I would be happy with that. Only nine more games before I can sign up for Team 45 45. I hope I can keep my rating above 1300 when I reach my 20 games.

5 Comments:

At 2/09/2005 4:40 PM, Blogger Calvin said...

Hey PS

Just wanted to let you know that your links aren't showing up. I hope that your rating does stable out. Have fun!

generalkaia

 
At 2/10/2005 2:37 AM, Blogger Don Q. said...

Hey PS,

where do I go on freechess.org to sign up for the group? Can't take on being captian of th Team 45 45 (Not even sure what that is). Please accept my nomination of you as captain. If you don't want to do it, you might ask around.

I'll be pleased to play on the team but I might be a bit busy until, I dunno, about March 8th. :-)

 
At 2/10/2005 8:38 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Don,

The STC Bunch can be found here:

http://www.stcbunch.org

You'll need to be already registered with either FICS or ICC. They are located in FICS on channel 90. Just type in +chan 90 to add them to your channel list. Team 45 45 can be found here:

http://teamchess.org

They just started their own channel in FICS but I don't remember what channel that was off the top of my head. If you go to channel 90 those guys will know. Hope this answers your question. You are right, it does take a lot of time though. If I remember correctly, the four people chosen by the captain that week need to play one (45 45) game or forfeit the point. The game can last up to three hours at those time controls.

Oh, and I definitely don't want to be one of the captains. Typically the captains are the best players in the group usually with the higher/highest ratings. They need to chose who will be playing against whom so they should be good enough to analyze their opponents games and determine who would be best to do battle given their strengths and weaknesses. It's a really neat concept and I think it would help to bring the Knights together as a group, and force us to put our money where our mouths are. With the size of our group now though, we would need two teams since the limit is 6 players to a team.

PS

 
At 2/10/2005 10:22 AM, Blogger CelticDeath said...

I'm listed as an interested player there already, but am not yet assigned to a team.

 
At 2/10/2005 7:26 PM, Blogger Don Q. said...

Ironically, I'm much too busy doing chess problems at present to actually play chess. Perhaps in a month.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home