The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Monday, February 07, 2005

No Tactics Today

The title says it all. I read a little from Reinfeld and played one game 20/5 on FICS but that's it.

I was really happy with my play on FICS today. My positions were solid and I was eventually able to take his rook and put myself 5 points up. I then created an open A file which brought my Queen rook to the 7th for a mating attack on the unprotected king.

I found my current weakness to be my rook handling. If I can better handle my rooks my game would even out somewhat. When I ran one of my lost games through Fritz I noticed that I am giving up good rook positions because I am at a loss for moves. Does anyone have tips on how to improve in that area?

3 Comments:

At 2/08/2005 4:17 AM, Blogger Don Q. said...

As to rook play, there are the famous rules of thumb --
1) Rooks belong on open files
2) A rook on the 7th rank is a bone in your opponent's throat.
3) Rooks belong behind passed pawns
4) Coonnect your rooks

As to practice of the tactics of rook moves, you might try playing the game Tafl (aka King's Table). This is a Scandinavian game from the Viking era. It is very chess like and all the pieces move like rooks.

 
At 2/09/2005 8:58 AM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Don,

Thanks again for the tips. I'll definitely check out that game you mentioned. I think it will do me a world of good to concentrate a few hours study on it.

PS

 
At 2/09/2005 6:32 PM, Blogger Pawnsensei said...

Link!
http://hjem.get2net.dk/Reinhold/index_da.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home