The Chess Wanderer

"Les pions sont l´âme du jeu" Francois-André Philidor, 1749

Monday, February 14, 2005

No Title

"Most gulls don't bother to learn more than the simplest facts of flight -- how to get from shore to food and back again. For most gulls, it is not flying that matters, but eating. For this gull, though, it was not eating that mattered, but flight. More than anything else, Jonathan Livingston Seagull loved to fly." - Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Interesting weekend. I was 4 and 1 on Saturday and 1 and 4 on Sunday. The good news is I got over 20 games now and I almost have my RD below 80. I can enter Team 45 45 now. I wonder if it's too late to get on a team? I really felt dissappointed with my games on Sunday because it's not that I lost, but that I should have won most of those games if not for my last minute blunders. Again my rook handling was one of the culprits. But aside from that I was getting excellent position because my opponents were letting me control the center even though my opening puts me at least a tempo behind.

On another note, it's funny to analyze my games with Fritz. Does your program tell you that you are an idiot too?

"Now why did you do that?" "Haha, gave away a winning position!" "Stupid, just plain stupid."

Heh, just kidding of course, but that's what it feels like. At least the program has the decency to explain what you should have done. It's been a great help with analyzing my mistakes.

Yesterday reviewed my drills and studied openings for about an hour.

3 Comments:

At 2/14/2005 8:44 AM, Blogger Temposchlucker said...

That's why I don't use Fritz to much to analize my games.
To learn tactics you have to play tactical openings. Therefore I play gambits. Fritz always advices to exchange your initiative (what was the reason to invest a pawn)against an enemy pawn. That's no way to learn to fly, that's eating.

 
At 2/14/2005 12:36 PM, Blogger Pale Morning Dun - Errant Knight de la Maza said...

I am slowly compiling my games on my own database with Fritz. It's helpful for the games you lose, but I don't think it matters with the games you win. I mean, if you win, who cares? Take your glory and bask in it. Don't let a machine spoil it.

 
At 2/17/2005 1:31 PM, Blogger fussylizard said...

I always analyze my games with Fritz and I usually find it very helpful. Fritz often points out moves I didn't even consider, and often has some really good suggestions.

And it is also good for opening preparation, though I don't really spend any time on it beyond figuring out some better moves in a game I just played so I will know for next time (which works out well since my sparring partner and I tend to play similar lines over and over again).

However, as pale said, going over the game with Fritz can be somewhat of a downer when Fritz shows you the refutation to what you thought was a brilliant move. But that's part of the improvement process.

Another good rook rule in the endgame (similar to #1 from logis)- rooks should be used actively, not passively. If you have the choice between using your rook to passively defend a pawn or to drop the pawn and post your rook aggressively, often the correct choice is to drop the pawn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home